Gluten Free mozzarella sticks

by - January 28, 2019



The other day I made these delicious mozzarella sticks. I tried making these a year ago, when I first started cooking Gluten-Free, but it was a complete fail. Took a lot of time, and in the end had no flavor & most of them were burnt, lol! I haven't attempted to make them again until now. I have been cooking gluten free now for over a year, and have had to learn a whole new way of cooking. I have a pretty good handle on cooking this way (finally) & so I figured I would give these mozzarella sticks another shot. I am so glad I did. They are so yummy, & dare I say just as good if not better than any restaurant?

Here is what you will need. 
  1.  2 Cups of Gluten Free bread crumbs. (my favorite gf brand to use is "Schar". I have tried other bread crumbs and this one is by far the best in my opinion.) I buy these from Hy-Vee. 
  2.  Mozzarella string cheese. Each piece cut in half.
  3. 1/2 cup Gluten free flour. I like this one
  4. 1 tsp salt
  5. 1 tsp dried parsley
  6. 1 tsp black pepper
  7. 1/2 tsp onion powder
  8. 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  9. 1/2 tsp dried oregano 
  10. 1/4 tsp dried basil
  11. 3 eggs
  12. 1 1/2 TBS milk
  13. 1 cup oil for frying
  14. Marinara Sauce

DIRECTIONS :

Start heating marinara in a small saucepan.

In a bowl, place four. In a second bowl, whisk eggs & milk together. In a Third separate bowl combine the bread crumbs and all of the spices and herbs. 

Coat each piece of cheese in flour. Then dip it in the egg mixture. Then roll and coat in the bread crumbs. 

Dip in the egg & bread crumbs a second time. Make sure the piece of cheese is completely covered in the bread crumbs.

Set that piece aside, and continue with the rest of the cheese until you have several pieces.

Heat the oil in a pan. 
(I did like number 3-4 on my burner. You don't want it too hot, you want a slow cook so that the cheese is able to melt without the outside burning. You also want to be able to hear the "sizzle" when you set the pieces of cheese inside, that's when you know it's hot enough).

Once you have several pieces of cheese prepped and ready to put in oil, go ahead and start placing them. Remember the order you place them in, so you can flip and turn them evenly. I cook them about 45 seconds to a minute on each side.. Just watch them, it's better to turn them too soon, than to turn them too late and burn them. No Bueno. 

Once they are all evenly cooked and cheese starts melting, take them out and set them onto paper towels to absorb the excess oil.

 Leftover mozzarella sticks can be frozen and heated up later in the oven, which works very well :)

You May Also Like

0 comments