Anniversary & talking Marriage

by - August 13, 2015

Tomorrow Adam and I celebrate 6 years of marriage. So I thought I would do a "marriage" post. 
(I am by no means a marriage expert. Nor do I think I know it all because I definitely do not.)
I have learned a lot in the last 6 years of what marriage is, what it means and what it takes to stay married. 

Love is an unconditional commitment, not a fickle feeling.
Couples who talk about “falling out of love” don’t really have a grasp of what love actually means. Love, by its very nature, isn’t a fairy tale feeling, but a commitment.
love is a story with no ending.
Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.” 1 Corinthians 13:7


Every wife needs love and every husband needs respect.
One of the toughest parts of marriage is giving love when your spouse is acting unlovable or giving respect when they’re acting disrespectful, but it’s so important to do it. God gives us His best when we’re at our worst, and He calls us to do that for each other in marriage. People usually need love most when they “deserve” love least.
“So again I say, each man must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” Ephesians 5:33

God is full of love, and the Bible doesn’t give many examples of things God “hates,” but divorce is on the list. Because God has so much love for marriage, his heart breaks over the pain of divorce (and our hearts should break too).
“For I hate divorce!” says the Lord, the God of Israel.
  “To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. “So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife.” Malachi 2:16 

If you are in a second marriage, please don’t read this and feel judged or shamed. When I read everything the Bible has to say about grace, and the examples of all the great leaders in the Bible who fell far short of God’s standard, I’m comforted in knowing God gives second chances and new beginnings. You can’t change the past, but 
you can start now and build a new future with each other.
Back on subject here. . Marriage was God's plan. Marriage is a good thing and a God thing. You should always put Jesus center of your marriage, cause without him, Yikes, thats a scary future ;)

A marriage takes three.
God created marriage not just to be a man and a woman, but rather, a man and a woman in a growing relationship with each other and with God. The more you love God, the more capacity you will have to love each other.
“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8

I am so blessed to be married to the man that I am. Thats not to say we don't have struggles. But, we don't just give up on our marriage because it is "hard work" & because tough times come. I got married young. I got married at 20 years old. Adam was 27. That is a pretty young age now a days to get married (my age, not adam ;)), I realize that. I knew from a young age that my calling was to be a wife, homemaker and a stay at home mom to my kids. From age 9 I knew that. It was all I wanted and knew thats what I was going to do, through my teenage years that dream never changed. God put that in my heart, I then I met Adam and the rest is history. We started dating in November 2008, got engaged April 2009 and married August 2009 and pregnant with our first child December 2009. Yep, thats fast thanks for noticing ;).
(FYI, I knew Adam for a couple years BEFORE we dated, so it is not like I met him, dated him and married him all within a year, ok people, I can see your minds being like "holy crap" ha ha calm down. I kept a close far away eye on him to make sure he was a "good boy".) He passed the test.
I am now a wife, homemaker and mom of 2 little girls who I get to stay home with everyday & I love it. Its what Jesus placed in my heart and it has come to pass. 

In marriage sometimes you have to change and grow. Sometimes that seems impossible and is a scary thing to do, it goes outside of your comfort zone. But its necessary and a good thing. You haven't "arrived" you always need to grow, always need to work on yourself and be the best you / spouse you can be. You have never "arrived". 

Now for some photos of us.

Our relationship started with Adam taking me on motorcycle rides. Thats what drew me to him in the first place ;). If you know me you know I love motorcycles. They are so much fun. We did this all the time together.

Our first date. & a photo-booth picture.

Dancing in scrooge together. 
(which is why to this day I call him Fred, people seem so confused, which I get, so now ya know. He played Fred in Scrooge and he never lost the name with me ;)) 
We did rehearsals every Saturday together for hours. This lead to Adam officially asking to date me. But before he asked me he first asked my Dad for permission to date me. I mean come on, thats pretty sweet, who does that?. I don't know if its because my Dad is the Pastor or if he did this with all his girlfriends? Although, I know he didn't so you decide ;)

Alright skipping forward to APRIL 2009. Adam came along on our family trip to Mexico and thats when he put together his grand plan to propose to me. It was amazing. So thoughtful and took lots of planning on his part. I couldn't have thought a better proposal up if i tried. & I honestly was completely surprised (which is pretty hard to do). Adam and I never looked at engagement rings together or anything like that. I didn't have a ring or style picked out. He choose it all on his own, sneaky sneaky.

The song playing in the background of this video is the "poem" that Adam wrote me that I read when he proposed. On our wedding day he totally surprised me when he had Jordan sang it. again, sneaky sneaky.



Wedding Day









& since we like to move fast, we got pregnant 3 months after being married.
This is me around 7 months pregnant with Summer.

When Summer was 3.5 baby #2, London, was born!

The family we have created.



You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wow, this is an incredibly wise, thoughtful and well-written post! My wife rocks :) Tarah you are such a blessing to me, and the fact that you are so on point with how marriage works and inline with God's word makes me so proud and happy to be married to you. I love you and I always will ;)

    ReplyDelete